Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
What the hell. I realize that the U.S. culturally places significantly more value on individual rights over government than a lot of places, but the government saying "you can't change your name to this, we find it unacceptable" sounds crazy. You should revolt. Want help revolting? I've never revolted, but it sounds fun. We should revolt. When's good for you?

Also, "revolt" no longer sounds like a real word to me.
Well, judging by Wisconsin, I doubt they'll give me much hassle. I mean, you can renew your driver's license by mail here; if you do so after it expires, they charge you $5 and still let you renew it by mail.

Having dealt with US officialdom and Kazakhstan officialdom, the American officials are so laid-back and relaxed about stuff by comparison that it's a tremendous relief. Not trying to start a political discussion here, just stating a fact I observed by dealing with the two sets of people in close time proximity when working on my wife's immigration to the U.S..

Hence my confidence at being able to change my name, actually. (My wife, who is from Kazakhstan, was amazed at the fact it can be done. In her country, you can take your father's or mother's name instead, depending on gender, and that's it -- plus you have to pay a lot of fees and even bigger "fees" to do so.)
------
Anyway, people must have overlooked my "Leomund" and "tiny hut" post. I can't imagine this board missing the opportunity to take a few good-natured jabs at me over that.