If you like complex character creation, tons of options and detailing your character down to the last detail, 5e is not for you.

I love every edition of D&D and 5e is my favorite, but I find them all for useful for different things.

5e is closer to 2nd edition and is an incredibly built game with tons of excellent design decisions. Every class, with the exception of the Ranger (Arguable) is awesome and can do cool stuff. (The idea that casters reign supreme is false, but I can get into that later).
5e is built around my preferred gamestyle; Strong narrative support, rules light, DM autonomy, vicious enemies and monsters, PVE, and the ability to play just about any tone of game. Also decent enough balance.

If that doesn't interest you, and you prefer complex rules, deep character creation mechanically, (Not Narrative) and tons and tons of different options in combat, then 5e, especially without a creative DM, is not for you.

If you do go that route, make sure you grab a full caster or rogue. Otherwise you won't have a great time. The melee classes have options and combos that are readily apparent, and easy to use, but casters do have a more strategic flare.

I've played 3.5 through 5e extensively, and can answer a lot of questions anecdotal if you want.