View Single Post

Thread: Help me understand when I get an Aoo

1. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

Kobold

Default Re: Help me understand when I get an Aoo

Quote Originally Posted by Nosta View Post
    well I have two questions

first with combat reflex and the following to feats Karmic Strike & Robilar's Gambit would I get two Aoo if my foe trys strike in melee and manages to connect with a blow?

also for thicket of blades what all do they mean by movement. moving from one square to another or any body movements down in a square I attack?
    There is reasonable contention about whether Karmic Strike and Robilar's Gambit can be used at the same time. Why? Because Attacks of Opportunity are based on triggering events that are derived from discrete movements and both of these apply to the same discrete movement even though they both have slightly different language as to what is "triggering" the AoO.

So check with your GM if he's fine with you using both at the same time.

For my perspective, they stack, so I'll address them like they do. (Why? because you spent the feats and took the penalties, why NOT let them stack.)

You are now at -4 AC and the opponent has +4 to hit and +4 to damage. So its the equivalent of -8 to AC. ouch.

with a dexterity MODIFIER of 11 (meaning a dexterity score of 32 to 33) and combat reflexes you have up to 11 AoO a round. Now you just have to find the triggers to set them off.

When an opponent swings at you, Robilar's triggers (but you don't roll it until after he does his attack and damage)
    When an opponent swings AND HITS you, Karmic strike triggers (and hits simultanously)

So every time you are melee or missile attacked by someone within your threatened range, you get to do one of the following.

Enemy Swings at you and HITS doing 18 damage
    You simultaneously swing at him and HIT doing 9 damage (Karmic)
    You then swing again ant hit doing 17 damage. (Robilars)

or

Enemy Swings at you and MISSES (seems unlikely with your -8 AC equivalence)
    You swing at him doing 17 damage (Robilars)

Outside of that feat-driven interaction, you get additional AoO based on the enemy movement. If I remember from your numerous and repetitive prior threads, you have a reach weapon. Whatever your reach is, whenever an opponent moves OUT of a square you threaten you get an attack. You only get ONE attack per opponent per movement per this line: "Moving out of more than one square threatened by the same opponent in the same round doesn't count as more than one opportunity for that opponent." So if the guy runs around you exiting like 10 squares you threaten in a round, you still only get one attack for that guy's movement. Even if he moves through your space to an area outside your threatened area, then back in and out, still only one attack.

Normally you wouldn't get an attack if they moved using Withdraw or a 5' step, but with Thicket of Blades you do. I have seen an argument that thicket of blades overrides the rule of one attack per opponent per move action and lets you make multiple attacks of opportunity if they move out of multiple threatened squares. I don't find that to be a compelling argument.
    Last edited by Gallowglass; 2016-06-01 at 03:24 PM.