Quote Originally Posted by The_Jackal View Post
Which would make sense if you're talking about Ulfric using a cannon or a horse or something, but we're talking about the result of skill and talent. How that's different from just being a better fighter than him is escaping me, somewhat.
But it takes skill to use the pistol, too. You still don't have one and I do. How is that fair to you when all you have is a sword?

Quote Originally Posted by The_Jackal View Post
Also, what the Greybeards teach isn't exactly what I would call practical or canonical or even useful. If you're going to agree to the Greybeards way of doing things, then you sit back and let Alduin devour Tamriel. So, if it's all the same to you, I'm not going to taking their philosophy that seriously.
Whether it's practical isn't the issue, though. Is it fair and honorable? A large number of Nords decided 'no,' and that's how we got the Civil War. (Also, the dragons hadn't even entered the equation at the time of the duel. Though since we're on the topic...remember Alduin lost a lot of street cred with the other dragons when HE tried to use something he had and you didn't to win your fight with him--namely the fact that he's immortal. Also also...how can you say non-canonical when it's in the game? Arngeir gives you a whole speech on the subject when you first show up. )

Quote Originally Posted by veti View Post
Which rather raises the question, why all the Shouts are so damn' destructive? What's the draconic for "Flowers/Scent/Pretty", or "Love/Peace/Harmony", or even "Gods/Truth/Worship"? Instead, it's all "force" this and "fire" that and "rend the soul from the body" of the other.
Kynareth, the one they're worshiping with these shouts, was originally a storm goddess and goddess of warriors.