One thing no one seems to mention is, that while you can "focus" on TWF, and still make use of a bow. You can easily keep at range until the need to engage in melee arises. Admittedly, a dueling ranger can do this too, however he cannot attack AND draw his blade and shield, just as the TWF cannot draw both weapons without a feat, and at best the dueling ranger will have 1 AC over the TWF.

That said, I'd consider keeping rangers away from that feat, much better options, such as resilience (con) for all you melee fighters out there and/or resilience (wis).

Honestly to me rangers are, in my opinion the best switch hitters in DnD 5e with the most options against the largest amount of potential threats. Because of their potential variety they can suffer in specialty but this can be off set by picking the right hunter powers if you wanted to specialize. (the ranger IMO is better suited to fight a big baddie with multiple attacks and fear aura than the fighter will be) Also, the rangers spells mean, you can stack damage with archery without dedicating other means too it (no real need for sharpshooter).

while I agree that WA is meh, Volley on the other hand is much more useful(easier to set up) without any houserules/changes.

All this said, I made a couple of changes to the Ranger class for my home games that worked well and helped them late game. (Ranger are, IMO the worst class after level 12ish, and ofc have the worst capstone)

Changes I made-
Allow colossal slayer to activate once per turn on an attack action AND bonus action (used as an attack) (to help the, admittedly slightly inferior TWF ranger)

Changed Primeval awareness to have the option to be used as a 10 minute ritual

Rolled the capstone into favored enemy starting at level 6, Then changed the capstone to allow it as a constant bonus to attack AND damage at 20. (now that's a favored enemy bonus!)

Also, another Idea I had but haven't gotten to test yet was allowing the Ranger to move as if in difficult terrain while using WA, making attacks on any enemy he moves within 5ft of during his movement, suffering AoOs as normal. (which, can be mitigated with an earlier level hunter power)