View Single Post

Thread: Do Beholder Beasts Have ears?

1. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Do Beholder Beasts Have ears?

Quote Originally Posted by trikkydik View Post
    The eye can eliminate magical effects but not the music. and the eye effect is a cone. the music would pass around the beholders eye and go into its ears. If it has ears.

There's no way a beholders eye effect can eliminate the effects of sound vibrations in the air. yes it suppresses magic at wherever its eye points. but the music will travel beyond its reach.
    When you say he is using his music, you are referring to Fascinate, correct? That ability is listed as (Sp), which makes it a spell-like ability. Anti-Magic Field is the effect that the central eye duplicates, which blocks all spells, SLAs and supernatural abilities. Also as to your comment about not knowing where the effect originates, Fascinate requires targets to be able to see and hear the Bard.

For the sake of answering the question, no Beholders don't have ears. According the Lords of Madness, the book concerning aberrations, they state on pg 38 "Beholders typically have a dozen small tympanic membranes at almost random spots across their bodies; each is merely an inch in diameter and impossible to see except upon the closest examination." So no ears in the sense we picture them, but they can hear just fine.
    Last edited by Waker; 2016-06-24 at 06:51 PM.
    If you feel like quoting something that I have said, you have my permission to use it. Unless it makes me look stupid.
    Gaming Laws, Fallacies And More
    My Homebrew
    Feel free to browse and comment on any of my Homebrew. I enjoy feedback.
    Love my Avatar? Well, why not check out the comic that it came from?