1. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Default Re: Wielding a Weapon Versus Holding a Weapon

Quote Originally Posted by Barbarian Horde View Post
    That seems like a technicality to me, but I see your point.
    It's not. Let me provide two examples to illustrate the situation from a rules standpoint.

Bob the level 6 fighter has a bab of +6/+1 and is holding a long sword and a long spear. He uses a full attack and starts with a attack with his long sword at +6, then he free action drops his long sword, grabs his spear in both hands, and does a 2h attack with his spear at +1.

Timmy the level 6 rogue has a bab of +4 but has two weapon fighting. He is holding a long sword and dagger and engages in a full attack.

He attacks with a roll of +2/+2 for both weapons. Timmy has chosen to engage in two weapon fighting to gain an extra attack before his bab would allow him to. As a result he suffers penalties which he has somewhat mitigated by taking the two weapon fighting feat.

Bob the fighter has no desire to two weapon fight but likes to have the right tool for the job on hand. He gets two attacks because he has a high bab. At no point is he engaging in two weapon fighting because he knows he never took that feat and the penalties would be outrageous. Furthermore while Bob can hold the long spear 1 handed he cannot attack with it one handed and as such it would be nonsense to even try applying the two weapon fighting rules.

Now from a Grammer standpoint. You're cherry picking definitions.
    To wield: to hold and use and item (such as a tool).
    To handle: to feel or manipulate with hands

The definitions that apply to weapon usage relate to when one is trying to use it for its intended purpose (as a weapon). If it is merely being held in one's hands it isn't being wielded.

If I handed someone a candlestick and asked them to hold it for me you wouldn't say they were wielding the candlestick. If I handed someone a candlestick and asked them to club an intruder to death you would say they were wielding the candlestick. The act of using the held item for a purpose such as intruder clubbing changes the word that ought to be used.
    Last edited by Chronikoce; 2016-07-03 at 02:14 AM.