Alana had started to object to Hood’s assessment of her emotional involvement in what she was doing, but quickly realised he would have smelled her emotions while they talked. It was hard being the one who had a disadvantage because others could read her, instead of her reading them and the urge to go mind-snooping raised a notch.

She returned Quiver Queen’s grin when she said she’d help, but didn’t speak until the Hood mentioned torture. Her eyes narrowed. That was twice he had said something that could be about her and her family. And he probably could read every emotion he was invoking in her. Who was this guy?
“You protect your family and friends with the mask. That’s what it’s for. Even I know that.” She told the Hood through gritted teeth. Now. I know now.

“If you’re scared of your family being t....” She swallowed before continuing, trying to force the pain and anger from her voice.
“Hurt... You know there are people out there that hurt people. Innocent people. They need to be stopped. If.. if all your after is money, I guarantee that that Dice bastard has more than you will earn in a month of finding dogs. If you’re scared he’ll come after you. Make sure he doesn’t.”

Alana then took another moment to get herself under control. She hadn’t thought she could still be affected by what had happened to her this easily. Maybe actually starting this had opened old wounds. She hoped she hadn’t put off Quiver Queen with her outburst.
“I’d be glad to have you with me Quiver Queen. In any case, if anything is going down tonight, we’ll need to find this Dice’s subordinate and get him to talk. Sooner rather than later.
Maybe you can show me how to travel in a mask without attracting too much attention?”