Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
The only ways to get Incense/Lucky Eggs without paying for them are:

However, good luck getting more than 10 coins per day out of gyms - it's so much easier to beat a gym than to defend it that any remotely active gym will be dethroned in minutes. I usually bust a gym and then immediately redeem the daily bonus with 1 defending Pokemon, because I'm afraid that while I go try and conquer another gym, my defender will be bumped off by OP Vaporeons.
There's a gym near my house that was held down by blue for several days earlier this week...though I think both the red and blue people who take over that gym are also employees there (the gym is in the middle of an IBM office complex...with 5 pokestops too, I wonder if productivity has gone down over there lol). Blue has more players with 1500-2000+ cp pokemon of several different types. Either way that gym is always up to at least 4 trainer slots.

Sometimes yellow players will take over the gym at night, but only ever at night, as soon as its work hours someone from Red or Blue take it back.

So you only get coins from gyms if your pokemon defeats an attacker? I was under the impression that you got coins based on the amount of time you held the gym down. Or is it both?