My personal ‘project’ for a while has been doing write ups for players and DMs to help them play around with cantrips in ways to be fun without breaking the game. I took some time off of cantrips to do another brainstorming session with myself - the Minor Conjuration ability of the conjurer wizard subclass.

This one is far more dangerous than your average cantrip because there is so little supporting information. On top of that, this is a subclass feature so it can’t be taken and traded out if the DM hits it with the nerf bat the next session.

Tips for the everyone at the table:
  • Be clear and consistent in advance – Whenever possible, make clear rulings based on interpretations, not a huge list of specific uses. Also do it early so nobody has to discuss laws of physics in a critical battle.
  • It is a game, but not just a game – The Rule of Cool balances the Rule of Reason. Or yet another way, players need to have fun but might want to ‘forget’ a good idea if it would disrupt an important plot point they know the DM is relying on.
  • The DM can always change a ruling, but be fair about it – If an interpretation turns out to be too abusable, it can be changed. But the players may need to compensate accordingly so don’t do it in combat and/or disallow a class ability on them suddenly.