Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
The DR is cold iron or Good. Not everyone totes around Holy weapons, and yes, while it's exceedingly common for PCs to carry cold iron weapon expressly for DR, a lot of monsters you'll be fighting will not. Your DR should still be relevant - taking 10 off damage isn't that powerful, but it's decent enough not to be ignored.

I'm not sure I follow the SR vs stats comment - I might be misunderstanding your intent, but SR is vs CL, not vs casting stats modifiers.

I understand that +1 LA would make the Succubus more survivable, but I honestly feel I couldn't go lower than LA +2, taking stat adjustments, innate abilities and everything else into account.
They don't HAVE to have a cold iron weapon though to make the DR largely irrelevant.

Oger. Ranser/Long Spear/Great Club/Glave/Garisume/Greatsword/Falchion/Great Ax.

Couple of situational bonuses to hit, or worse, give it the shock trooper feat. If your game is a touch higher op, A level of Spirit Lion totem Barbarian. (Doesn't even need leap attack.)

It can waste you in one charge attack or very near too it at 6th level. It hits plenty often. It's well within CR to face. And it has at least a fair chance of having the reach to get you while flying.

"But in a social game......"

Palace guards with enlarge person items cause rich guy who's antagonistic to the party then. Boom. Same basic effect even if they have NPC levels. Even a reason for them to attack. Social antagonist came up with a pretext he'll smooth over later with forgery and/or diplomacy as needed, and ordered the guard to "take you." and "over react to any sign of resistance.", meaning kill you so you'd stop messing with there objectives. That literally took longer to type out then think up for me.

Yes, you have some options, but most of them aren't THAT strong on there own. You already can't get 9th or 8th level spells or even 7th level spells far as that goes after you get out of succubus even if there IS LA buy off on the table, as well as the player making a deliberate choice to only take things that advance spell casting. Loosing another caster level means loosing there 6th level spells as well.

There simply is no reason to penalize them. The ability's are spread out enough that she'd maybe be ok in a party were everyone has precisely 1 thing there good at and specialized in, but by the time it's a competently constructed Tier 3 party, she's going to be starting to lag.

So, yeah, I think LA 3 is entirely unplayable and unreasonable for this monster, and LA 2 is probably streaching it but might be tolerable, and honestly I don't think LA 1 would be too little.