1. - Top - End - #244
    Ettin in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: Is Burning Wheel dead? What systems do YOU think should be played more!

Quote Originally Posted by profitofrage View Post
    I found that all the progression "math" fits easily on a character sheet. typically less then the gear section of most others.
    likewise I also didnt find the math all too confusing, less then 2 dice below how many you've rolled? easy. 1 below or the same , difficult. more than challenging.

Going by what everyone has said in the thread, I still cant shake the feeling that the majority of the complaints stem from a lack of skinners box immediate progression style rewards.
    Congratulations. You have an opinion. It is not the opinion of everyone in this thread. That does not mean that you get to say that everyone else is addicted to Skinner box progression. Doing so says more about YOU than anyone else.

You know what my group went to, from Burning Wheel? Fate. A game with even LESS focus on mechanical progression.

And I never said progression was HARD math, just more than my players wanted to fiddle with at the table. So much so that they didn't bother. And if they were truly wanting advancement mechanics, wouldn't that be the FIRST thing they'd do?

So, no. You are wrong. There are reasons, VALID ones, to dislike Burning Wheel (and I WANTED to like it, I TRIED to like it) that have nothing to do with being locked into a D&D style mentality or an addiciton to Skinner box style progression.

Once you can come to grips with that, then *perhaps* a discussion is viable.

Quote Originally Posted by profitofrage View Post
    sick of your teammates not Roleplaying there characters? Play BW, they will have to keep up.
    Sick of munchkins? Play Burning wheel, you cant minmax without creating a glass cannon.
    Sick of class based systems? Play Burning Wheel, character creation is limitless with lifepaths and custom lifepaths.
    sick of combat that is dry, long, complicated and yet still boils down to "I hit it with my sword" Play burning wheel it has dynamic combat, simple combat and several other "Versions" of combat you can pick and choose from.
    Sick of character progression being just killing monsters? Play Burning Wheel, you advance as you use skills (assuming you make the minor change to rules because having to specifically get easy tests is retarded.)
    Is BW your first non-D&D game? You do realize that there are a GREAT many games out there that hit these points that aren't BW. MANY. And many more that hit the majority of them.
    Last edited by kyoryu; 2016-08-10 at 09:21 PM.