Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
1) I think that's where the matter of opinion comes in, because to me there are decision points between the attacks, parries, dodges, etc.
Like what? Why would you ever pick a non-optimal choice here? I don't think I've ever seen a game with a defensive option system that didn't just quickly boil down to "I use my best defense that works against this attack" so I'm curious what you've done here.

2) My preference is for actual defensive moves to be available, and for me, many of the "chunk of time" systems enter an area of disconnect when one roll represents a series of attacks, but then there's an active defense (or multiple) that's rolled or applied as if the attack roll had been for a discreet action.
This is only an issue if you think there's some reason to change your defensive choices. I've yet to see this in action.

3) There's a still difference between resolving a discreet section of combat that might involved multiple moves with a single set of rolls; and resolving an entire combat in a single roll. One still allows for some granularity and multiple decisions points, the other does not. I have no time for systems which rely on a single "fortune start" or "fortune end" roll, and then metagame-negotiate the inputs and/or the outputs.
Definitely! This is the difference between task, chunk, and 'scene' resolution, as you mentioned earlier. I think your last sentence is sortof divorced from the rest of this however.