Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
Omission and lie of omission are different things. A lie I found omission is omitting information with the specific goal of fostering a false belief; that is, omission to expressly lie.
I do not see where the lying is.

My interpretation was always that Roy's behavior towards the oath, in this case, by dying trying to fulfill it, is relevant to judging Roy's fitness. But that does not necessarily mean that how Roy is judged fits neatly within Eugene's understanding and expectations of the Oath. The Deva is not required to educate Eugene and Roy. It is not even clear that Celestia is required to adhere to the letter of the Oath at all.

It might be a lie of omission if the Deva's incomplete description were likely to manipulate Roy into something he would not otherwise do anyway. But the Deva is literally sitting with Roy's file in front of her, and thinks she has a pretty good gauge of what kind of person Roy is. Is she somehow required to explain to Roy, "Hey, you can ignore this Oath thingy if you ever go back?" (if that were the case). I did not know the afterlife is required to precisely correct misconceptions about the living world, especially when Roy probably understands the gist of what is going on by being waved forward.