Death becomes Them

"Due to either a miscalculated spell, a nefarious plot or simple bad luck the party has died. Trapped in the Ethereal Realm our brave adventures must seek out a way to revive themselves or forever be trapped, unable to pass on."

So many people as DM's and players have a small far that somehow the party will wipe. Early enough in the game rerollong isn't too big of a hassle but at some point people do not want to lose a character they have invested so much into. Especially due to simply bad rolls.

I present my solution to the problem. Should your party wipe completely, instead of dm fiat to simply revive then or having to re roll, have an adventure as ghost, success or completion results in revival. True death of they fail. Considered a second chance at redemption my adventure hook here gives players and DM's a final fallback before losing a character completely.

How the players achieve this is up to you. I keep it fluid with a standard end of meeting some God that if pleased by their actions or if they complete some moderately difficult task the Gods send them back to the material plane.

For setting remember the Ethereal plane and material overlap almost exactly. Use your current setting and environments but apply ghostly greyish appearance to everything.