I run a play-by-post rpg called Warlands, and to celebrate our 10 year anniversary, we're hosting a tournament! There are prizes and XP to be handed out to winners and participants alike. I have several events and varying levels offered for all different types of classes - archery/throwing, joust, gladiatorial games, rogue dauntless, and even drinking games!

What I don't have is a challenge for the mages. >.< We have a dice roller on the site, so that's no problem. We have plenty of spell casters too (and always looking for more if folks want to join). What I really need is some idea to use as a challenge. I debated setting each one up against a creature (varying CR as per the level of the PC), or maybe host a wizards duel, but I wasn't sure how well that would turn out (given whoever got init. would likely win on the higher levels).

So, I turn to my fellow players and DMs here to see if there aren't some other ideas you might offer me. This is the only event I don't have set up yet, and the clock is ticking! We open September 1st, so any and all ideas are more than welcome!

Thanks!
Sato

PS: Any other tournament ideas would be great too! I'm all ears!