1. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #32: More Seasons than the Simpsons

Quote Originally Posted by TorsteinTheRed View Post
    Q65

Suppose two casters, outside of, and on opposing sides of, a 10ft diameter Antimagic Field.

One casts Invisibility, the other casts True Seeing. Can the second caster see the first? Why or why not?
    A 65

Yes, the second caster can see the first one. Antimagic field only stops spells and magical effects from functioning inside the area, and it does not block line of effect.

Q66

Suppose again the above two casters, without True Seeing or Invisibility. The first casts Cone of Cold, then Seeking Ray, then Disintegrate, then Orb of Force, then Flame Strike (somehow!) at the second. Which, if any, affect the second, and why?
    A 66

All of those spells will affect their targets normally.

Cone of cold and flame strike are area spells, and their effects will be suppressed in any portion of their areas that overlap the antimagic field, but since the intended target is not within the field it will not protect him.

Seeking ray and disintegrate are both ray spells. Like the area spells, they are suppressed within the antimagic field; but since the field does not block line of effect, the rays will simply wink out and reappear on the other side as if nothing was wrong.

Orb of force is an instantaneous conjuration spell. This means that the orb is essentially nonmagical after it appears, and it will function normally even against targets inside the antimagic field.

Q67

Suppose again the Q66 situation, without the Antimagic Field. Given this:
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    A58: Either be undead or a non-living construct, or you could buy a ring of the darkhidden and cast the no light spell. You could also coat yourself in something that blocks line of effect, such as paint.
    ...which of the Q66 spells affect the second caster if he were covered in paint?
    A 67

There is no rules basis for MaxiDuRaritry's claim that painting oneself will block line of effect or protect them from anything. Clothing doesn't break line of effect, why would paint?

I am completely certain I would never allow such a thing to work in one of my games.
    Last edited by KillianHawkeye; 2016-08-29 at 02:36 PM.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.