Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
People don't transcribe their accents, but that in itself gives the lie to the idea that a phonetic spelling system is particularly useful. Either everybody transcribes their own accents, in which case the written language becomes a nightmare to decipher, or one accent is taken as the standard one for transcription, which means anyone with a nonstandard accent (the majority of speakers) gains no benefit from the phonetic spelling.
Depends on the dialect. Most of the Malaysian Chinese I know, stick a 'lah' at the end of their English sentences as an import from Cantonese where it's either an emphasis or an additional sound to make the sentence sound smoother. It doesn't actually mean anything in and of itself, much like 'huh' or 'er' in English (a quick google check indicates they're called interjections).

Even straight romanisation has its issues - originally Mandarin Chinese was translated via Wade Giles which was more focused on aiding the pronunciation for Western readers. For the aforementioned political reasons, this has now been largely supplanted by the 'official' Chinese transliteration system Pinyin, so the Three Kingdoms ruler Ts'ao Ts'ao, becomes the more recognisable to modern eyes Cao Cao, even though the Chinese pronunciation hasn't changed.

Due to the significant lack of similarities between spoken Mandarin and Cantonese (I believe Russian and English are more similar), it's unsurprising that Cantonese has its own transliteration system, Jyutping. I'm sure all the other major dialects have their own Romanisation.

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
I'm aware that a couple of countries have attempted to impose phonetic spelling using a Latin-based alphabetic system, but the two examples that spring to mind also come with nasty conotations of monolithic centralised cultural imperialism and quashing of minorities, which I shan't get into because of the politics rule - politics and language do intersect rather a bit, as it happens.
As an example of the politics and language intersection, the rebranding exercise that Standard Mandarin has undergone, being renamed 普通話 'putonghua' or 'common language/tongue'.