1. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Dragon Ball In the Playground OOC IV: Planetary Annihilation for Fun and Profit

Hawkflight, half the point of making a roleplay for this is for our own characters to interact with the setting, I doubt you'd find anyone who would LIKE there to be canon characters, because you run into the Elminster Problem in Forgotten Realms. Elminster is a canon character, so the result is that he is always used as an overpowered character who doesn't actually do anything himself or takes over the narrative completely because overpowered Elminster is overpowered. Thats why most people when they play Forgotten Realms, phase out the canon characters so that the PC's can have room to do their own thing without interference or fears that they living in Elminsters shadow.

that and the Bleach RP on this board doesn't have the canon characters to my recollection. Nor would I see the point in having the canon characters in a Pony RP aside from Celestia or Luna because Mane Six could very well take over the narrative, or the canonical Crystal Gems in a hypothetical Steven Universe roleplay because they would take over the narrative, and so on, because your faced with the choice of whether to make this your story that your sucking the canon characters into, and thus risk de-protagonizing and dis-respecting the characters that are MORE made for this universe than yours are, or just becoming a side-character for the canon ones who then solve the problem and you end up not having fun. Its the reason why people look down on insert-fics and mary sues who fix all the problems type of fan-fics. And why I'd rather play a pokemon trainer who never meets Ash Ketchum rather than one who does. Ash Ketchum is only one guy. He isn't the end-all be all of the universe, even if he is the protagonist. And I'd rather have a Dragon Ball that I can explore what I want with, rather than retreading old ground, that honestly doesn't serve any purpose aside from fan-service to hypothetical fans of us that don't actually exist.

I mean, sure, its awesome when Kirk and Picard meet or when Mara in Star Wars meets Luke as her Jedi mentor, but thats not the point.

The point of Episode 7 of Star Wars, is so that we can watch different people in the same universe. Why the heck would I want to watch Luke and Han Solo again when their story is already finished? Let someone new have a chance. Let Mara and Finn become heroes in their own right, let Star Trek the Next Generation do its own thing without needing to pointlessly bring in the hero of the Original Series. Let Korra become her own Avatar without needing constant guidance from Aang. Let Wax and Wayne be their own heroes without needing Vin or Kelsier. Let Nightwing have his own comic book series without needing to always go back to ol' Batsy for help. I don't want my media to revolve around the same characters forever, I want them to expand and grow, to look at other locales, to see whats happening when they are NOT around and other heroes need to step up.

But nevertheless my offer to do a non-canon trial run remains.

Edit: On Supreme Kai of Time:
    my reading was more rogue shards of time disconnected from the timelines that by themselves are moments in time that if left unchecked could do something bad. but....really I'm mostly controlling the Supreme Kai of Time as damage control. To make sure that it didn't go to somebody who would take the canon too literally and instead use her as a way to keep the Roleplay on track. She is a good person, a hero and I highly doubt that she would kill a bunch of other heroes and good people just because time told her to. The Time Patrol, is meant to be a bunch of unambiguous good guys who face evil to save all of time. To kill a bunch of good people over a strict reading of their regulations is evil. Thats all that is needed really. The truth of the matter is that the RA are the good guys and there is no reason for the Time Patrol to do something like that to a bunch of good people who are outcasts and just trying to band together to make better lives for themselves. The answer to your question is quite simply "because they are not evil"
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2016-09-02 at 08:40 PM.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".