Quote Originally Posted by Hawkflight View Post
Suguri nodded, rushing in for a hug.

"Yes please," she said. After a moment of hugging, she then asked a question that would probably come as a surprise, but not so much when one considers that she no longer had parents to call her own.

"Can ... can I call you Daddy?" she asked.
The hug, Setsurou was ready for. The question, not so much.

He hesitated. This wasn't a responsibility he was ready to take on - not at this moment. But how could he explain that to a child?

He returned the embrace, gently stroking her hair.

"You... can. But you really shouldn't. I mean, we just met, Suguri-chan. A father is someone you love and trust to protect you and teach you.

I... don't lead a very safe life. I could die at any moment. And I don't want you to be sad if that happens..."

Katsurou smacked his grandson atop the head.

"You realize she is much too young to know the difference?"

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dorizzit View Post
"I see. The issue will be raised."

Jehoel folds his arms.

"A fine answer. Not the one I was looking for, but I won't castigate you for it. The definition I was using is the ability to acknowledge other beliefs, and other perspectives, as valid. An individual with conviction can see those who disagree with them take into account the reasons, and still maintain their own beliefs despite these conflicts. An individual that is stubborn rejects all possibility that they could be wrong because, in truth, their beliefs are fragile. Clung to because the individual in question requires them in order to function. Because the understanding that their actions might not be absolutely correct could destroy them."

Jehoel looks over the cliff face, out into the Seireitei.

"Of course, pure representations of the two extremes are rare. It's far more common to contain a mixture of both traits. You can, I'm sure, figure out why I'm describing this distinction."
"We were both discussing separate viewpoints on the same issue just now, so it's not that difficult to link the subjects. Much discussion will still be needed if we are to reach a consensus...

Though an idea has just occurred to me that might be of use to us both."