View Single Post

Thread: Is there a word for fake words?

1. - Top - End - #57
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Is there a word for fake words?

Now it's been some time, I think it was American accent as phonetically rendered in the Cambridge Advanced Learner Dictionary. If you have no experience with how languages like Spanish, Italian, Latin, Ancient Greek and German write their vowel sounds, it isn't strange that you can't recognize the vowels. Also think that this was done very fast, so there are bound to be inconsistencies.
    English renders vowel sounds through a mix of letter chosen, following consonant or number of consonants and eventual presence of a mute vowel, and probably also something more. This instead is a rather superficial attempt to approximate the vowel sound just through the letter representing the vowel.
    So A represents all sounds like the first sound in aisle, the one in father, the one in palm and the one in strut. The E represents all sounds like cat, dress and bet. The y represents the vowel in kit and the second part of diphthongs like long A (fan) and long I (I am). The I represents stuff like sheet and the last sound in pretty. The O represents sounds like thought and lot. The w is the w in what, the second part in sounds like don't, and the vowel in foot. The u is the sound in loot. I wrote it double in ruin because it's long (so it would be luut, ruuyn, bwl (bull), myuuteyt (mutate), but now I see that it actually is redundant, since English doesn't have a short version of that sound, and that's probably what you noticed. I tried to render ə (the A in comma) with accents that were supposed to be pronounced after the letter on which they were written, which is something I probably copied from tengwar.
    As I said, it's actually a very superficial system.
    Last edited by Vinyadan; 2016-09-16 at 06:57 PM.