1. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: I Did Some Writing! It Has Dragons! Wanna See?

Quote Originally Posted by Lethologica View Post
    I like the broad strokes of Postlude. The scenes you chose are good and important and kind.

To me, the explanation of Vi's resurrection is weighing down the emotional reunion somewhat--there's a lot of "Wait, if that's true, then why..." work being done to fit the twist into previous setting expectations. But this time it's not exactly something that can be told in other parts of the book, only at most hinted at. I wonder if Vi might encounter Kyesh'aa herself first, since it's Kyesh'aa who experienced what Vi did and might be well-suited to explain that. Then Kyrala enters the scene and the emotional hammer drops. But that approach has difficulties, too--like, it separates the emotional impact from the resurrection itself, and we don't know Kyesh'aa yet from what's been written so far--so I dunno.
    That was the big problem with that scene that I had - finding a way to balance the emotion of "Vi and Ky reunion!" with "Why the heck am I back?" and "Oh, BTWs, you gotta help our new hatchling!" I wasn't sure how well I succeeded.

I did try and lay the...seeds, if you will, of this reveal in Reunion, where we see that even though Jor and Oros and all those folks are no longer fighting the good fight, the new Sparks to replace the ones they destroyed don't show up until after they die. The why remains unstated, because the Mauna believe they understand the reason, while the real reason has been hiding in the background for quite some time.

Funnily enough, had Oros accepted Vi's offer to sacrifice himself in Reunion, there was a slight chance that his Spark could have returned! So Vi accidentally almost got her own proof just by being the good little dragon that she is.

Quote Originally Posted by Lethologica View Post
    "Day Off" seems like a natural prelude to some kind of plot-relevant setback (meeting one or more villains prematurely, Vi finding and messing with something with something she shouldn't, something like that), because I'm a sucker for emotional whiplash, I guess. I like the kid.
    Well...Once again, I did sprinkle in something about a villain in there ! The reason that Dallan left the tower so suddenly was to visit an old student named Esperiak whom he had suddenly grown worried about - and we found out in Reunion that that was Oros's name before he became naraka and discarded it.

But mostly, Day Off was an answer to my friend's question of, "What do dragons do for fun when they're not fighting or training or preparing?" So it wasn't really supposed to be much more than just a fun little ditty.

EDIT: But once again, thank you so much for taking the time to read through my stuff. I appreciate it a lot !
    Last edited by Absol197; 2016-09-19 at 01:29 PM.
    "It is important to draw wisdom from many different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." --Iroh
    LGBTAitP! If you want to talk, learn, or have some fun, stop by!
    Avatar by the lovely Lycunadari!