Ronin

Logan was gone… that caused a great deal of turmoil in the X-Men, and Fred in particular. He played into Muramasa’s hands and sent Logan packing. He didn’t know where he was, and although there were highly capable people looking for him, Fred doubted they would find Logan until Logan wanted to be found. The thing about being open to your own feelings is that the bad ones felt like even more of a punch to the gut. Yet he soldiered on. The world needed saving. Everything else could come afterwards. So he’d gathered the X-Men, made preparations regarding future tactics, and spent the rest of his time fighting as many good fights as he could. He took his work across the world, one mirror at a time.

Before he knew it, the time had come for the great gathering. Fred had been with Katie as she prepared, and he helped to move things around. He also “helped” to cook (mostly by taste-testing, which had eventually earned him a rebuke). He kept a good soundtrack going all the while, favoring oldies and garage bands. Though he had things weighing on him, he remained relatively upbeat.

The clothing he chose to wear for this event was typical. He wore his black X-Men outfit, but his old school shades had been replaced with wraparounds for the time being.

The meeting began, with each group entering one by one. Fred naturally gravitated towards the X-Men, though his eyes were drawn over to Kara as she made an appearance. He had been wondering where she was, how she was doing with all of everything happening.* (See previous issues, kids!) She was working with Captain Steve Rogers, a move that Fred would always applaud. She seemed to be avoiding conversation, but if she looked in Fred’s direction he would lift his hand in a small wave and mouth, “Hey.” Nightwing received a fist-bump… and then there was Superman.

Fred’s mouth cracked into a smile. Just the sight of Kal-El as his old self made his heart swell with joy and relief. His eyes wandered to Spider-Man from behind his shades. Good job, Spidey… good job. Jimmy got a thumbs up from Fred before all went quiet and Katie spoke. He made his way up to the front.

Katie had been selected to be the administrator of this endeavor. She had the mind for it and she had the temperament. She put things as well as anyone could have.

“Darkseid is an existential threat to our world and all of our peoples,” he said. His baritone voice spoke clearly. It may have shocked some who hadn’t seen him lately. He never was a talker before, especially in big groups. “He’s on his way here and we know that to be a fact. He destroyed the worlds of the Kryptonians and the Skrulls, and he wants to destroy us too. It doesn’t matter if you’re human, mutant, Inhuman, Atlantean, or Kryptonian. He is your enemy. He is the Enemy.”

“Like Potence just told you, he thrives on hatred, anger, hopelessness. He wields those emotions like a weapon, and it has proven to be a powerful weapon… But it also might be his weakness. Positive emotions: hope, joy, belief in something better. These can be our weapon against him.”

“It’s time that Earth saves itself. The hope and belief of every sentient life form on this planet would be powerful to use against him… but we have to do our job and foster those emotions. Laugh at me if you want, but everything helps. Make someone smile. Go visit a sick child. Feed someone who’s hungry. Tell someone that has given up that they can go on.”

He pointed at the Old Guard, “It’s time for all of you to get back to doing what you need to do and more. Things were bad, but they can be better. You guys are all here, I’ve watched you. You’re friends, companions. The world needs the Justice League. The world needs the Avengers… and the Fantastic Four… and the X-Men.”

“And all mutants, and all countries. It needs everyone now.”

He turned towards his own friends. “We all keep fighting for a world that seems against us… Cyclops, the Professor believes that we could make a difference; and we have in the past. We need to do it again. We need to do what we’ve done before. We get knocked down and we get back up. We show those who hate and fear us that we’re the good guys. We can’t sit it out anymore.”

And to Magneto. “Magneto… The world needs to help Genosha. Those plans Potence talked about? They could help conditions in your country. But more than that, you can be an example to all. You were my teacher once. I’ve seen you be a hero. I know you have it in you. I believe in you… I’m asking for you to believe in me now. Give me your faith just this once. Have I ever betrayed my word? I know you’re reluctant, but I swear to you on my honor, on my life,” he clenched a fist to his heart, “that this is the best chance for our survival, and the best chance for a better future for mutantkind.”

He fell quiet before giving his closing. “We all need to believe. We all need to hope. We need to help the world do that too. If we can, then we’ll wield a weapon far greater than anything Darkseid can bring to bear.”

“Long story short… I’m down.”