Great guide, thanks a lot!

I'm playing a Mountain Dwarf Beast conclave Ranger in the Out of the Abyss campaign. Because of our location, my Animal Companion is a Wolf Spider, because there's not any bears to be found in the Underdark. He's a very versatile companion, and I am a TWF STR Ranger. With a Monk and a Bard as my party, my spider and I have become the tanks believe it or not! And frankly we're kicking butt!

The UA on Beast Conclave has been very helpful for us to be effective. We are all Level 8 now, and our Bard has learned Polymorph...when the battle really hits the fan, he has become fond of polymorphing my Wolf Spider into a Giant Scorpion which has been insanely useful for battle field control. I lose some of the Beast Conclave skills (as per my DM) but gain ridiculous multiattack, grapple, etc. It's pretty awesome. Also, it gives my Animal Companion a whole new HP pool. So he fights as a spider, taking reaction attacks with my TWF so we get 3 attacks on my turn, plus his on his turn, and if he starts getting beat on...Polymorph, new HP Pool, and 3 attacks on his turn. It's been a very effective strategy since hitting LVL 8 and the Bard getting that spell.

Ifind the new Ranger to be a very very fun class to play. The updates have made it a very strong class, even without fighting favored enemies (though holy crap, when we do fight them...WOW!)

I look forward to more fun with this class!