Quote Originally Posted by TechnOkami View Post
So, a few questions: I know you can't use certain exploits with Garrisons to generate gold like you were able to anymore, but are they still useful for generating gold at all now? If not, aside from collecting reagents that the player base needs, what else is good for generating gold?

@icewraith: what class(es) did your dps friend play? I'm curious as to what he performed so well on.
Re: Garrison gold, let me tell you what I'm doing, and I'll let you judge whether you think it's worth your time to do so. Basically, all the gold making perks from WoD have been turned into +200% garrison resources. If you build a rank 2 trading post, you can convert garrison resources into trade materials, which, if you can find a way to sell at a profit, will indirectly furnish gold. Atypically for a new expansion, Legion did not add a new recipe for a top-tier bag. They added the Silkweave satchel, which is a relatively cheap 24 slot bag. The best bag in the game remains the Hexweave bag. SO, given that I have a maxed out tailor, and Hexweave bags consistently sell for 1k gold (on my server), I've been using my garrison to feed sumptuous fur to my tailor for conversion into bags, and thence into gold. In effect, I'm using it to give myself a quest for 100g per day, for poking a couple missions and hopping over to the trading post to check the exchange rate (which is randomized from day to day)

I doubt very seriously it would be worth investing much gold/time into improving your garrison if you don't have one already, but seeing how mine is already a sunk cost, I'm doing it. That's also my general style when it comes to making money, I'm not interested in power-farming or running AH gambits to get rich, I just want low-effort gold which I can collect on a regular basis, for doing a few quick chores.

As for making gold with no existing investment, before I go into that, let me first normalize your expectations with this: Right now, the price of gold is ~920g to $1.00. So, if what you're doing can be conflated with work (ie: you wouldn't do it if you weren't being paid), then if you're making less than 6,670 gold per hour, you're working a sub-minimum wage job to earn gold from other WoW players. So, ask yourself: Am I doing this because I want to be doing this? Because unless you're come up with an amazing gambit to make gold, you're likely working that sub-minimum wage job. Now that that's over with, Alchemy and Enchanting are going to hold up their value the most, because those will continue to produce sustained demand as the player base continues to get geared up. Yes, the other professions can also make money, but their volume will be lower, and the sunk costs harder to overcome.

My general advice is to focus on your other goals, and let gold just happen when you're not looking. If you like professions, by all means, learn one, and figure out a way to tap it for some extra coin. But IMO, gold farming as a hobby is a very questionable enterprise.