Quote Originally Posted by Pronounceable View Post
I noticed that I seriously dislike giants, which is weird since it's the mythological monster from stories of the entire friggin world and I like myths. Since I hate DnD giants on principle, I went looking into their gods to find something of interest. That's how I found Othea of Faerun who was instantly awesome as a cheating wife. That **** never happens. Zeus (and a bunch of other knockoffs) has been doing the cliche skirtchasing henpecked dude and his domineering jealous wife bit for millenia and it's become an all encompassing trite that everyone keeps rehashing. So I decided to polish Othea a bit and also throw in a bunch of other stuff. This is the result. Now the giants are just one more race that's not divided into a bunch of color coded bull**** categories and there's their titan gods to fulfill all the mythical giant of legends stuff when that's needed.
also, spot the dank meme
I should do something similar to uncrapify dragons too. But I hate dragons much more than I hate giants, I'm not gonna start being openminded about them at my age.
You ever read about Eberron? You should read about Eberron. They actually pose giants and dragons in an interesting light. The giants wielded some of the most powerful magic ever discovered, wound up falling into decadence and slave-race sacrifice (read: elves), they blew up a moon to deal with an extraplanar invasion, then their continent was laid to waste and rendered impossible to civilize by an army of dragons striking without warning, leaving them in the wreckage of their once-grandeur.

The dragons, for their part, mostly stick to their own continent. Once upon a time, they had to put up with a world ruled by demons. That sucked even for them. After a millennium-long campaign of guerilla warfare to seal the boss demons away so their fell influence would no longer affect the world, they finally got the planet un-crappified. Nowadays they make sure it stays that way, discreetly taking down the rakshasa who plot to spring their bosses from divine jail, and wiping an uppity moon-breaking civilization from existence.

The dragons that adventurers fight? Feral orphans. Real dragons stay away from humanoids after the first time they taught a civilization magic.