Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
War update:

Spoiler: Spectators
Show
Been meaning to do this for a couple turns now; here we are.

This is the war in its entirety; there's only one front (I don't know if the Aztecs even know where my other cities are). They would probably not bother continuing if they took Constantinople. Of course, that's my capital, and probably a contender for best city in the game at the moment, so that would leave me pretty crippled.

Anyway. When the war started I had no garrison; my military (one warrior, a couple of archers, one dromon) was off exploring/disposing of barbarians elsewhere. No walls, either. Really bad starting position, I have a bad habit of neglecting my defenses when I don't have a specific reason to expect war... I've managed to recover enough to have a fighting chance, by now, though, thanks to 3 advantages:

1) Terrain. My capital is out near the end of a peninsula, meaning that the besieging force is bottlenecked.
2) The Byzantine unique unit. Most civilizations at this stage wouldn't have access to a naval ranged unit; I do, and that means I can take full advantage of that bottleneck to bombard the attackers from offshore.
3) High production. I have two cities capable of producing combat units every 1-2 turns (even with enemies blocking some of Constantinople's land resources).

It took the enemy a couple turns to start attacking properly - by that time I'd produced a chariot archer and gotten my one dromon back; those two plus the city can kill one enemy unit per turn if they focus fire. Then I went for walls. Then back to ships.

My first target was the Jaguar they sent in the first wave - it was the only melee unit I could see, and I was hoping they didn't have any others close by. No such luck; as you can see, there's a horseman present too, lurking just outside of my sight range but still close enough to attack. This is a good tactic on Narkis's part: horsemen are fragile, but if they can get the city down to 1 HP it doesn't really matter, any melee unit would be good enough, and the horseman is fast enough that it wouldn't have to endure my garrison's bombardment. I wouldn't have known this was coming if I hadn't landed that archer on the flank (it was one of the explorers I recalled when this started).

Now that I know it's coming, though, I think I can handle it. It'll take me 2 turns to finish building a pikeman, which outclasses anything the Aztecs have by quite a bit. The city is currently just under half health, and I don't think Narkis will be able to take it before that pikeman is done. Once that happens, the pikeman can crush that chariot archer effortlessly and block the horseman from getting to the city. His archers can probably kill it in 1-2 turns by focusing fire, but they won't be bombarding the city during that time, and I'll be building another pikeman in 2 turns, and at that point he'll be starting to run low on archers... I mean, it's possible that there are more reinforcements I can't see, but I think he'd have brought them in closer so that they can replace fallen archers without any delay. And even if I'm wrong about that, it won't be long before I have enough ships and archers hanging around to make this peninsula an impassable killing field.

So. One way or another, the war should be decided pretty soon.

This is my second city, which has been churning out dromons nonstop. They're faster-moving than ground units, so it only takes them a couple of turns to reach the battlefield. I would not have had a prayer of winning this fight if I didn't have these guys.

My third city is pretty new, and not up to military production yet. I'm not sure if the location is good, it's right next to snow tiles, but it does have access to a nice set of sea resources. Time will tell, I guess.
Spoiler: The Snark
Show
It would appear that you're really getting the authentic Byzantine experience, what with having your capital (on a peninsula, no less) besieged by numerically superior foes.