Quote Originally Posted by Djinn_in_Tonic View Post
A rare time when The_Jackal and I completely agree, which means it must be a problem.
Clearly, I must reverse my position. The forms must be obyed.

Quote Originally Posted by ryuplaneswalker View Post
EVERYBODY can get hosed by a fight mechanic, you know what is awesome? setting up for Soul Realer + Apocalypse pressing Soul Reaper and then getting targeted by a mechanic, oops there goes soul reaper, you know what you do to solve this? Don't go into void form before a major mechanic ticks off, and if something happens that you need to take care of during Void Form Dispersion.
Completely true, yet I feel like the Shadow Priest dilemma is profoundly worse, because of how much of their effectiveness is hidden behind Void Form. Saying it's a class mechanic doesn't make it any less frustrating and annoying. The variable length of Void Form means losing insanity generating casts is hugely detrimental, and the increasing haste buff also makes staying in Void Form a long time crucial to your output. If I get a colossus smash proc, at half rage, I don't feel like I'm totally hosing up my damage and rotation by hitting that button immediately, if it turns out I won't get 8 seconds of time on target to unload, because I can fish for another Smash later.

There's no fishing mechanic for Void Form, you just have to wait for it to happen again, so when circumstances conspire to force you to leave Void Form early, it's just a giant damp squib. Blowing Soul Reaper on a bad window also sucks, to be sure, but that's a regular damage cooldown, you don't need to ramp it up, and DK output isn't moist garbage without it. Soul Reaper's haste buff is a 15 second buff for 21% haste, properly executed. Insanity is a 20% damage buff, plus a stacking +1% haste per second you remain in Void Form, and the haste buff persists for 60 seconds after you leave Void Form.

Having a big cooldown-limited button you can press for impressive damage is fine, every class should have one, otherwise the game would be the incessant frostbolt spam of 1.0. But the skew on Void Form seems, to me, to be far too heavily focused on that mechanic. But then, there may be some priest players who love it, and I certainly wouldn't main a priest anyway.