View Single Post

Thread: RWBY VIII: Well, THAT escalated quickly

1. - Top - End - #228
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: RWBY VIII: Well, THAT escalated quickly

Quote Originally Posted by Metahuman1 View Post
    Ya know, a though crosses my mind. They made a big deal about how lonely the Maiden's path was and how much it would disconnect Phyrra form people she cared about. And the name, Maiden, that word use to be used to describe virgins. I wonder if that's part of the deal? To hold the powers you have to be a Virgin and you have to remain as such to keep hold of the power?

Would explain that part of it anyway. Though, if it's not, then yeah, I kinda want to slap the damn writers cause then that dialog is there for literally no other reason then a thinly disguised excuse for the writers to keep Phyrra form taking on the powers while there's still time and subsequently preventing Cinder getting access to them, that has no actual merit in universe.
    I think they were talking about how Pyrrha would, by nature of the fact she would need to keep the fact she's the Maiden a secret, need to severe the very same close personal bonds she had finally managed to form in order to keep that secret. That same isolation would also extend to the rest of her life, she would have to seclude herself from others so they wouldn't discover the secret or, worse, try to take the powers from her.

And to be fair, cause I've seen this thrown around a lot, Pyrrha hesitates from accepting the Fall Maiden's powers for a lot of reasons. A very large part of it is because they have absolutely no idea if the transfer will even work, let alone if she would survive if it worked or not. And if it did, they don't know what would happen to Pyrrha in the process...would she still be Pyrrha? Would she be Amber? Would she be some amalgamation of the two? Could something worse happen from messing around with cramming someone's soul into someone else? And if there is the best case scenario where Pyrrha survives the transfer, gets half the Fall Maiden's powers, and is still 'Pyrrha', she would still be giving up the life she had before to become the Fall Maiden.

Worst case scenario? Not only does the transfer NOT work, but it kills Pyrrha and possibly Amber as well, resulting in the powers going to Cinder most likely.

No, Pyrrha has a great many of valid concerns and problems she had to consider before accepting the Fall Maiden transfer and, up until the situation with Penny, was under the impression that she actually had time to think about it. To come to a conclusion based on what she wanted rather than what she felt the world needed because her life was very much at stake.

Not even specifically you Meta, but opinions I've seen elsewhere and in Let's Watch's where Pyrrha should have just jumped into the pod and taken the transfer to become the Fall Maiden...cause people either missed or where ignoring the fact that they, in character, had absolutely no idea what would happen when they attempted the transfer and were understandably leery about such a decision but were backed into the corner on the matter.

EDIT:...I take too long to reply to stuff.
    Last edited by Callos_DeTerran; 2016-10-17 at 05:20 PM.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."