View Single Post

Thread: Teaching new tricks to old gods

1. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Teaching new tricks to old gods

The reason I want to do the one domain:one god thing is because I like the idea of a cleric's deity defining what they're like as a cleric, instead of having two clerics of gods who are little alike playing exactly the same (like, for instance, Moradin and Mystra are both, in the players handbook, Knowledge gods. and even core Mystra is so different from Moradin that it seems weird that their clergy play the same).

Lolth as trickery is good though, especially if I outright get rid of alignments so being a cleric of a god who lairs in the Abyss doesn't mean you can't be a good person (I mean, already, it's decided that a god who lairs on the upper planes isn't necessarily a good person, from what you've done with Correlon). Correlon needs to be in if Lolth is, but regardless of what the PHB writers said, I don't think all the fire spells in the Light domain fit him, and they do for this version of Pelor.

Also, giving Pelor Light rather than Life and making Yondalla (who as far as he knows is an ascended mortal/the creation of a mortal cult) the one who gets the domain from the basic rules, the default cleric, gives an excuse for Auril to be there. Pelor and Auril as secret allies is too cool for me to pass up.

Maybe:
    Death: Nerull
    Knowledge: There's a case to be made for Moradin or Oghma here. Mostly I find Oghma kinda uninspiring, so I favor Moradin
    Life: There are cases to be made for Chauntea and Yondalla here both. And Tiamat but she doesn't answer air-breathing losers and that means her followers use the monster rules.
    Light: Pelor
    Nature: Chauntea
    Tempest: Auril
    Trickery: Lolth
    War: Gruumsh

I'd need to slot Correlon in there somewhere since Lolth is there, though already three of the domains given are taken by gods who used to be race-specific (Life, Trickery, and War), four if I use Moradin. I might have to find or make something for him then. Maybe split the Light domain into like "Radiance" (Correlon) and "Flames" (Pelor). I bet Correlon inching on Pelor's territory on this world when he's already not the god of all that lives would incense Pelor enough to make throwing Auril at this world an even higher priority, too, which is great. Sune too, since the Sune/Nerull alliance is also awesome.

Giving Chauntea and Yondalla both Life clerics is, like, the one case doubling up makes sense, given that Sylvanus, in this version, actively ripped off Yondalla when making Chauntea's cult, and the reason for not wanting to double up is that it makes little sense that very different religions and gods would train and bless their priests in the exact same way (but a religion that is literally a plagiarized copy of another would). That'd give room for another Nature deity, possibly Sylvanus.

Side-note: Is there also a connection between Pelor (the burning eye) and Nyarlathotep (the three-lobed burning eye) in this cosmos? and how did Mechanus come to be?
    Last edited by Beneath; 2016-10-21 at 03:57 PM.