Heating Up

Snap could only listen and then watch as Vanguard saved the children. It did little for her confidence that even now, with the fighting done, she was useless. Why, oh why couldn't she have stepped out of the van? Just snapped over to clear some civilians out of harm's way or something?

She knew she should probably go and give Vanguard some emotional support but couldn't find the energy. Dejected, she did her best to stay out of the way as her colleagues and the various city professionals did the real work of rescue and clean-up. How was she going to face her teammates?

Amateur Psychologist

While it was nice that someone was still willing to talk to her, Ji Yu was surprised when Jack squeezed her shoulder. She knew it was supposed to be reassuring but it was pretty familiar for someone she'd only known for such a short time. Deciding to brush past it for the moment, she listened as he expressed his own concerns about the job and frustrations about whatever had happened to CJ. She nodded, grimacing briefly in sympathy.

His comments about their teammates force Ji Yu to suppress a wince - she'd yet to really talk to any of them. Sure, they'd gotten into the thick of it and done a good job but that didn't mean they were doing well. They could be just as stressed as she'd been, or more, and able to handle it better in the heat of the moment. She knew she'd have to talk to them... just later.

"Why'd I join?" She gave a rueful laugh, shaking her head and looking away. "'Atonement', I suppose. Try to make up for what I'd done. Up until yesterday, it felt like I got off lightly. Now? It's sinking in, y'know? I'm expected to run into danger. Stop the bad guys. Save the day." She looked back at Jack. "I want to stay and get through... or over this," she added, gesturing vaguely, "but I'm struggling to work out how..."

New Kid in Class

Despite herself, Ji Yu perked up when Robert mentioned getting lunch together. It would be a way to unwind and maybe even get to know the others but a niggling part of her brain made her wonder how welcome she'd still be. True, Jack had been supportive and no one had admonished her at all yet but was that the same as forgiving and moving on? She wondered if she'd feel better if they just yelled at her for a while... Probably not.

Any other day, she'd have jumped at the offer and likely tried to make a few jokes about splitting the bill by now. Today wasn't any other day, though, it was the day after she'd let everyone down. The day after CJ had gone missing. The day that they'd found someone to replace their teammate - they could phrase it differently but that's how it felt.

Finally raising her eyes, she looked around at the group, doing her best not to stare. From the little she'd interacted with them, they were fairly decent people. Maybe getting a bite to eat with them would be okay.

Team Lunch

Based on the directions Robert had provided, Ji Yu found the restaurant easily enough. She'd yet to try any of the local establishments and this one looked nice. She ran her eye over the menu before entering. The gnocchi sounded good.

Once inside, she quickly spotted Robert and, with a small smile that might not quite have reached her eyes, made her way over to the table. "So. Is it assigned seating or can I just perch wherever?"