1. - Top - End - #534
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Myrrh, Frankincense, and Steel: Kurald Galain's Guide to the Magus

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    Miserable would be nice if it worked on everything, but as it's limited to one creature type it's really not worth it.
    Yeah, you're right. And I'm actually starting to reconsider the choice for my "machine gun magus" as well.

I don't see any mention of hands or grasping in its statblock. (edit) to clarify, I'm not listing all familiars (or all feats or all spells) because that's not what most readers are looking for; there's already database pages for that. So under familiars, there's a list of abilities granted by familiars, with a few examples for each ability; it's not a full list of possible familiars.
    Oh gods no, I don't think you should list everything. Please remain highly selective, it's a major reason why I find your guide to be so user-friendly!

I was mostly just surprised that you mentioned the other +4 initiative familiars but not the compso, since the wand wielding thing (although GM dependent) is kinda big.

The grasp ability hides in the magic item slots for animals table, which says:
    Some creature body types are able to grasp and carry one object at a time in their paws, claws, or hands, including weapons, rods, wands, and staves, though they may not be able to use such items effectively (GM's discretion) and take penalties for nonproficiency as usual.
    (Generally speaking, from my limited experience with other GMs, they tend to be much more likely to allow wand manipulation to animals which actually have grasping "hands" (such as a monkey and most biped dinosaurs with an acceptable number of digits) rather than grasping "feet" (such as a dodo or a raven). But YMMV, of course.)

Pyro Eruption was on my list, but I considered it not interesting enough to include. That's because for a Magus that wants damage, either a touch spell or an area effect reflex spell is much better than a single-target reflex spell.
    True. The reason I noticed and added it was because of the lack of other good 4th level blasting choices. But since most magi have a metamagic feat or two, I guess it's kinda pointless.
    Last edited by upho; 2016-10-27 at 09:52 AM.