View Single Post

Thread: Mass Effect Andromeda: To Boldly Go

1. - Top - End - #31
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: Mass Effect Andromeda: To Boldly Go

Spoiler: Dragon Age Stuff
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    Ah, but just because others are doing it doesn't change my statement. The original point of contention was that it was harder to justify guns in a fantasy setting, when, in fact it is hilariously easy to justify guns in a fantasy setting. Just because very few people do it doesn't change how easy it is to justify.
    Your definition of "easy" appears to merely mean "guns are something they could technically implement and historically justify." Which ignores the third aspect, "and this is something our core audience would receive positively enough to be worth the effort." Unfortunately for you, that third consideration is the most important one, and it's the one people (including myself) are thinking of when we say "it's hard." I mean, you could with a few strokes of a pen establish and justify guns in Hyrule and Cyrodil too, that doesn't make it a good idea to do.

Now, with that said, I could see guns entering Thedas as a plot point. The Qunari have gunpowder (gatlok) after all; maybe they begin proliferating their war machines, or the dwarves get their hands on it and they do it, and we see the end of an age as firearms finally put the common folk on equal footing with mages and demons alike. Or maybe instead there is one character who, like Varric, has a very special and unique weapon that only he (or she) can use - a gun rather than a mechanized crossbow.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    One thing I really don't want? ME1's inventory system. By all means, bring back omni-gel... but not the horribleness of a Quartermaster MOS.
    There will be crafting and scanning, so I expect at least more inventory that we had in ME3. After all, they have to give you a reason to drive around on all these worlds.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2016-11-08 at 02:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)