View Single Post

Thread: Blood of the Ashlands (IC)

1. - Top - End - #260
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Blood of the Ashlands (IC)

Spoiler: Stran
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by DJCamWozzle View Post
    "You cooperate, you live. Tell me everything you know about the cargo aboard the Red Jailer and why it's so important to Thorn Trickstone."
    The sailor looks to the open door and licks his lips. (Initiative roll (1d20+3)[20] and join the Roll20.)

Spoiler: Astella
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaydos View Post
    "I'm making my way to Borden. You're welcome to tag along if you'd like, you might find an opportunity to make a life there," She says. "I need to hurry and try and perform my business there, but that in and of itself may be dangerous. Not as dangerous as bleeding out on the side of the road, but if you don't want to come I can understand." With that she starts on her way again. "We'll have to move swiftly to make up the lost time,"
    "Ha, ha," says the boy, "stick around here, bear territory? No thanks." He follows after Astella.

The next six hours pass quietly, the silence only broken by the two's footsteps on the dirt trail, the chirping of birds and crickets, and the occasional breeze. Noon turn to dusk and the sky begins to cloud. (Survival check.) The woods grow denser, dimming further the evening light.

"You got a lantern, lady?" says the boy with a nervous laugh. He glances up at the canopy of a grand oak, its leaves and branches blocking the sky. "So, what's your business in the city, Miss? I've been there when I was real little. Don't remember much." (Insight check.)

The two come upon a grassy clearing adjacent a vast lake, whose far banks lie at the foot of a distant snow-capped mountain. The lake's waters are still and clear. At the near banks are two tents, a lit campfire, a carriage, and a draft horse tied to a tree. Four humans mill about the site. Two wear splint mail, one with a longsword strapped to her back, the other with a heavy crossbow leaning against a fallen log and a shortsword hanging from his side. The other two humans are well-dressed, one in a colorful jacket and skirt with a dagger at her side, the other in a rich fur coat with a cloth-wrapped rapier behind him in the carriage.

The two armored figures see Astella and the boy arrive and calmly reach for their weapons. They do not draw but merely watch.

The lake waters ripple gently as a school of fish momentarily break the surface.

Spoiler: Guhzunthite
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Emmerlaus View Post
    He nods to his fellow suggestion: " Very well but I doubt they can afford a inn, Lothzar, much less a warm meal. Me, I suggest we keep going for a few hours still. Once this camp is out of reach, we could camp in the wilderness again. The problem we have is one of ressources. "
    "A place such as this probably has no inn," says Lothzar, "and we'd be relying on the kindness of strangers."

Quote Originally Posted by Emmerlaus View Post
    " In the end, dear Esther, I will let you take the decision. "
    "Pushing onward would be exhausting," says Esther, "though perhaps we should risk it anyways, so as not to burden the locals. Beloved brother, what do you think?"

Her brother, who was silent for most of the trip, merely snorts.

"Helpful as usual," says the cart driver. "For my part, I say we stay. I'm tired, and our most hardworking companion is tired." He pats the horse and the horse whinnies softly.

So the decision is made and the group decides to stay in the hamlet. They approach the small cluster of cottages surrounding the watermill, the sound of rushing water filling the air, and see that children are playing on the banks of the rapids. Men and women are completing various chores in the fields and beyond, returning with bushels of wheat in their hands, dead animals slung over their shoulders, or carrying baskets of freshly-washed linens.

Esther approaches a passing woman and says, "Good evening, we're travelers seeking a place to rest. I suppose you have no inns, so is there anywhere we could camp?"

The woman chuckles and says, "Love, you can camp anywhere you want. If you're set on camping, I'd say the fields by the mill are a good spot. Or you could join some of our houses for dinner. We get some interesting sorts of travelers around these parts, and we're not wanting for anything, so we're always happy to help out."

"Really?" says the driver suddenly. "The travelers, I mean. What kinds do you get?"

"Oh. Well, you know how ages ago, or so the stories say, the Empire conquered these lands?"

"Yes. Well, I'd heard about it, but I'm no scholar."

"One of their temples, or what's left of it, is just past the fields, down a rocky trail in the woods. Maybe two hours away." (History check.)

"Human," says Lothzar, "what is the name of this village?"

"Well, we don't really have one; to us, this is just home. But the river is the River of Giants, the very same water that flows from the mountains of Tullinstadt."

"Goodness!" says Esther. "How far away is that?"

"Oh, I don't know, Miss. Haven't ever really been much further than Borden."

Spoiler: Theren
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    In Elvish: [Theren last of the Dragons Blood Tree tribe, has seen enough! I will not cower while these Men force Elves!] In common [You Men who force Elves will die if you don't kill this Elf, who has seen enough!]
    Commotion splits the crowd as people begin to respond to Theren's attack. Men, women, and children flee the scene as quickly as possible, some ducking into nearby buildings. The basket-carrying elf woman makes a noise of fright, drops her belongings, and dashes down the alley, out of sight. The streets are now mostly empty, besides the two humans, Theren, and a remaining young elf man, who shouts, "Down to our oppressors!" He grabs a heavy rock on the ground and charges at the nearest human. He swings with the rock and misses.

"Freaking elves!" says one of the humans. "Know your place!" He draws a scimitar and attacks the young elf. The young elf nimbly steps aside.

The other human, the one shot by Theren, spits blood, draws a light crossbow, and lets loose a bolt. The bolt hits Theren. (Take (1d8+1)[2] piercing damage.) He ducks around the alley corner. (This is half cover.)

(It is now Theren's turn.)

Spoiler: Gelećek & Errich
    Show
    Spoiler: Gelećek
    Show
    The card player was not carrying any obvious holy symbols. No amulets, emblems, or reliquaries.

Gelećek is certain the seal on the document shown to the city patrol is the insignia of some branch of the Royal Army. He is not sure which.

Spoiler: Errich
    Show
    Errich recognizes the seal on the document shown to the city patrol as the official insignia of the Royal Army's Civil Guard Corps. The Civil Guards are usually tasked with duties such as peacekeeping, government officials' security, and counter-smuggling operations.

Gelećek and Errich walk into the bar, and the man from the rafters closes the door behind them. He says to the half-elf, "I'm going to talk to our contact." He glares at the well-dressed man. "Among other things, about not leaving places of safety and heading into obvious ambushes."

"Well," says the well-dressed man, "it's not like I knew you had someone watching me." He nods at the half-elf.

"We didn't know it was you. It became obvious quickly enough, however. Come, we have much to discuss upstairs." The man from the rafters and the well-dressed man ascend the staircase in the back. The latter's companion stays in the main room, grabbing a table and setting down his bloody greataxe. Sinda groans as she sees blood stain the table.

When their footsteps fade, the half-elf says to Gelećek, "So, I learned that Jimajuramentum is not a real gnomish name."

"Not even close," says the gnome woman, grinning at Gelećek. "I take it you're the one who convinced him of this? I guess I should applaud your deception. He's usually pretty sharp, but clearly gnomish culture isn't his forte."

In a few minutes, the man from the rafters descends the stairs, followed by the well-dressed man. The man from the rafters looks at Gelećek and Errich sharply and says, "Now, I'd like to know who the two of you really are. You, wizard, have not yet told me your name. And you—" he turns to Errich "—are no duke." He pauses a moment, then addresses both Gelećek and Errich. "Since you both helped us in our little skirmish, I will let you walk out of the room right now. You needn't identify yourselves if you don't wish to. However, if there is something either of you would ask of us, then you will tell the truth. Then, as a matter of fairness, so will we.

"If you stay, I need your names and an explicit answer to two questions: What are your current intentions? Who do you work for?"

The gnome woman leans her mace against a chair, raises her right hand, and says, "Zone of truth." A soft white glow with no apparent source fills the room. "Leave if you wish, but do not lie."

Spoiler: Gelećek
    Show
    (Charisma save.) (1d20+2)[7]

Spoiler: Errich
    Show
    (Charisma save.) (1d20+2)[13]

Spoiler: Evodine
    Show
    The wind grows even stronger. Leaves blow past Evodine's face.

In the flitting shadows there is fast movement. A large wolf materializes from the dark beyond the lantern's light, charging at Evodine, its form a blur. The wolf pounces, but Evodine dodges just in time. The wolf snarls.

Then another wolf appears, encircling the tents from a distance.

(Join the Roll20. Initiative roll.) (1d20+3)[4]
    Last edited by nettle3305; 2016-11-08 at 09:03 PM.