View Single Post

Thread: RWBY VIII: Well, THAT escalated quickly

1. - Top - End - #528
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: RWBY VIII: Well, THAT escalated quickly

Quote Originally Posted by Lethologica View Post
    Spoiler: v4e4 thoughts
    Show
    8. TAIYANG WHAT. YANG WHAT. WHY ARE YOU LAUGHING. THAT WASN'T FUNNY. IT WASN'T EVEN BLACK HUMOR. I'M ACTUALLY MAD AT THIS. OH MY GOD WHY IS EVERYONE LAUGHING NOW.

9. It's not just that moment, either. Everything about this emotional discussion drives me nuts. The unmotivated topic-switching between fear and normality is awful. The phrasing of Taiyang's show of support is awful. Port jumping in on Yang's moment of emotional conflict is awful. The fact that this conversation works to advance Yang's arc is awful. I'll be honest, this arc is tapping into my own emotional history (albeit I have nothing on Yang's trauma), and the way it's handled here just pisses me off to no end.

14. Raven's personality is odd for her character, but she sits in a cool spot in the narrative. Story threads everywhere waiting to be picked up. Also, dialogue quality still ~ proximity to Qrow.
    Spoiler: V4C4
    Show
    8&9. I'm a little leery talking about this with you if it touches upon personal issues, but this...kinda worked for me. It shows that Taiyang knows his kids and how to talk with them even if its in ways that would stun other people. I mean....Yang and Taiyang are laughing because they find it funny but Port and Oobleck have that 'oh gawd this is awkward just laugh along with them' laugh going on because they don't know what Taiyang's relationship with Yang is like...neither do we actually which might be why this moment works for me. Plus all the older folks were probably a little tipsy.

Especially the fact that after a moment of consideration, Port and Oobleck stop treating her like their student and more like an adult they want to help.

14. To be fair, we don't really know anything about her character aside from 'she's dangerous' and the contents of this wpisode so I'm not sure her personality can be odd for her character since we haven't been properly introduced to said character. I get the impression that she didn't sack the village to pass time while waiting for Qrow so much as become aware he was close by and seek him out to question him.
    Last edited by Callos_DeTerran; 2016-11-20 at 10:49 AM.