View Single Post

Thread: Blood Bowl itP IV: Anything But A '1'

1. - Top - End - #324
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Blood Bowl itP IV: Anything But A '1'

Quote Originally Posted by LordDavenport View Post
    So, I just got Chaos edition a few days ago. Have been kinda enjoying campaign mode as chaos. Been a bit annoyed at all the teams I am facing having characters with actual abilities while I desperately try to get together some beast men that can actually brawl worth a damn.

Is their a more specific guide to chaos somewhere? I read the basic cage guide and watched wraith's video. Have still been getting my cages broken by the enemy team just dodging into the central points and picking off a corner. Do I need to prioritize some chaos warriors with guard?
    Welcome to Blood Bowl!

Look me up on Steam if you want someone to play against. The AI is fun for quite a while, but not very good, and can teach dangerous habits.

Here's a link to a very informative guide to the blocking game, which I managed to find again just now.

This guide is also pretty great.

I'd prioritize Block on just about everyone on a Chaos team. The exceptions would be a dedicated Beastman Wrestle blitzer, or a Beastman built specifically to cause injuries (called a "killer"), who'd want to start with Mighty Blow and continue with Piling On and Claw. (Even that guy might want to start with Block instead anyway.) Going Guard first on a Chaos Warrior wouldn't be wrong either, though - if you're going to do anything but Block first on a Warrior, it would have to be Guard.

Early Chaos is very tricky to play. Aside from caging, you need to control the pitch and position well; you have the muscle to win bashing against AI teams even if they have a couple of skills (since AI is dumb), but you have to do it right. It's always hard to say in what ways specifically you're going wrong without watching gameplay in detail. A common mistake beginners make is to move players into contact with opposing, upright players without a good reason to do so. It's not usually smart because attacking is better than defending in Blood Bowl combat, and your opponent will get to attack first. There are many situations where marking opposing players is correct, as well. The key question is: Can my opponent take advantage of it once it's their turn?

Are enemy players really dodging into the cage? If the cage is built properly, that's not a smart move. What the AI does do is blitz off a cage corner, and then move up three players into the hole created, to harass the ballcarrier. This is annoying, but shouldn't usually be a bad thing. With your remaining cage corners and the Blitz, you can peel them all off, cause some pain (since you're positioned well enough to get 2-die blocks) and free up the ballcarrier to take up a better position elsewhere.

To take a better position elsewhere, you have to use your guys wisely. Form screens along the pitch to make it harder for the opponent to move.

If you're having trouble specifically with Wardancers leaping into the cage - that's a matchup-specific issue. You do have eleven players that should generally stick together to screen off parts of the pitch, so even with Leap it should not be easy for the elves to get a one-die block on your ballcarrying Beastman - but a very valid response to Wardancers is to carry the ball with Chaos Warriors instead. They're only marginally slower and have the same agility, and with ST4 most players need an assist to get even the basic one-die block, and Leaping blitzers won't have one.
    Last edited by Silfir; 2016-11-29 at 09:20 PM.
    This signature is boring. The stuff I write might not be. Warning: Ponies.