View Single Post

Thread: Arcane Archer: Warlock

1. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Goblin

Default Re: Arcane Archer: Warlock

Quote Originally Posted by Steampunkette View Post
    Arcane Shot
    Starting at 1st level you wield the power to imbue your arrows with magical power. Whenever you cast a spell with a range longer than Self or Touch you can instead empower your arrows with the spell. Doing so causes your Dexterity Ability Modifier to replace your Charisma Ability Modifier in all spell effects including attack roll modifiers, damage bonuses, and spell save DC. You also substitute the range of the weapon for the range of the spell, and grant advantage to your enemies on saving throws against spells fired from a bow at long range. If the spell creates multiple emanations, such as Meteor Swarm, additional arrows must be expended equal to the number of targets. If the spell requires multiple attack rolls, such as Eldritch Blast, you must make separate attack rolls as normal.
    I'd suggest changing the wording from "Whenever you cast a spell with a range longer than Self or Touch" to "Whenever you cast a warlock spell with a range longer than Self or Touch" in order to prevent people stacking two levels of Arcane Archer with 18 levels of Abjuration Wizard, Evoker Wizard, or something similarly powerful with dex as an offensive casting stat. You've kind of got this with the "Replace your charisma modifier" wording, but even then I think this is maybe too attractive a dip for Dragon sorcerers.

Regardless, I think this is a strong approach to the archetype which I really enjoy.
    Last edited by Flashy; 2016-12-06 at 10:59 PM.