Quote Originally Posted by Ashiel View Post
Pretty much. I want Retraining to be a thing that can let you fix mistakes or change your playstyle if you decide this one isn't for you. I don't want it to be a thing where you have to go look up a guide of what to retrain and when to be comparable to your peers.

Interestingly, a pane of glass will indeed stop a spell in D&D (though lots of spells could break one). I suppose the spell needs a sort of unobstructed path to reach its target. Incidentally, the reason the rules for D&D are the way they are is they were written with the assumption that walls were like dungeon or castle or building walls, so the rules assume that stuff that would block line of effect block sight as a result. Sadly, nobody thought too deeply on things like glass walls, other transparent barriers, or that absolutely beautiful work of architecture you linked.

I'll see if I can clean up and revise that stuff when I'm working on cover/concealment in the combat section.

It's possible that they also figured that unique barriers might call out rules specific to them. For example, if the GM is adding walls that aren't like those found in the Environment chapter of the book, the GM might naturally be adding additional details about those walls. So while in D&D/Pathfinder a "glass wall" isn't something that exists in the core game, a GM who adds it could give it the feature of not blocking line of sight and not allowing characters to use it to make Stealth checks. Such is the beauty of exception-based design, since it's very easy to build upon.
>Such is the beauty of exception-based design, since it's very easy to build upon.

*crutch-based. Being able to easilly fix a problem present in the rules doesn't invalidate the fact that problem is, in fact, still there.

How will you handle modification(mod) support?