1. - Top - End - #63
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: WarKitty's Feline Frenzy Random Banter #216

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Oh no, my joke has been sniped!

If you say so.

Oh no talking about musicals, how awful of me to have caused this. It must be so torturous for you
    Well, while we're on the subject, I think Allegiance was an important work, although as a musical it felt relatively weak. Then again, that might have been because I was watching a broadcast, which took a while to figure out how to do its own camerawork. Some justice might not have been done to the songs in that respect.

To a certain extent, it felt like there was a struggle in balancing the musical as a story of a character, and as a (very rightful) bollocking of the US- not that it went too far in one way and not the other, but that it would go too far in one way, and then too far in the other, making the piece as a whole feel less coherent. It felt a bit like two plays. One thing that ties into this is that the plot, which was more of a romantic tragedy than anything else, as opposed to the larger-scale discussion of the inhumanities of this episode of history, was a shade predictable, and I could usually see how things were going to go well in advance.

However, I'm hesitant to critique this play on such a basis because I recognize that its importance lies in particular in that larger illustration of what happened in the Japanese internment camps. Just as someone who lives an hour from the island where the first deportation happened, this feels personal, and I will embrace any work that intends to dispel the white-washing that this part of US history has received. My biggest argument might be that, as part of the storytelling aspect of the play, they were too eager to ignore the larger implications of the rest of the work when it served their story, but I might be expecting a Brechtian takedown of society when I came to see a Broadway musical, which is more my problem than the play's.

Ultimately, this song should chill everyone and I love it.

Also, George Takei said 'ohhh myyy' in the intro and it was everything.
    Last edited by MoonCat; 2016-12-14 at 02:53 PM.
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show
    Aww man! Even all the witty self referencing sigs are gone now!
    Excellent Avatar by CheesePirate, Awesome banners by Pink Haired August

Spoiler
    Show