Quote Originally Posted by Me
To be honest, I'd say the people who go on and on about little girls being weak and wimpy to little boys below the age of 5 are probably the real outliers. I must admit though, I'm curious as to how you managed to miss out on the subliminal messaging about women being mommies and men being daddies as a smol child.

Gender is probably best understood as long as one understands that it's not really possible to understand perfectly. For the most part, gender is an internal, mental/metaphysical part of a person that may or may not be present, much like sexuality or empathy or a sense of humor.

It's primarily about identity, but to say that it's divorced from the physical entirely is also to do it a disservice and bark up the wrong tree. So, too, its existence as a social construct and identifier shouldn't be dismissed and forgotten as irrelevant to grasping the concept.

In a way, it's like the really, really old definition of a mystery, like in the religious sort of paradox-but-not-quite sense.
I don't really have anything else to add at this point in time, though.