Quote Originally Posted by wobner View Post
Once again my own reasearch has failed me, and i was hoping to get some help. Anyone have any examples of the number of guards a noble would employ for protecting his home and for minor trips? for example if a Daimyo were to visit a local shrine, or a Count goes to the local church or some event, how many bodyguards are they going to have with them for so short an excursion? further, what kind of protection would a Baron or Earl/Jarl have at their manors, keeps, castles when not actively at war or expecting trouble. As in people standing guard at gates, patrolling streets or walls, that kind of thing. i really can't seem to find alot of this stuff detailed, or else it seems ridiculously high, and in the few accounts i can find they seem to include militia-esque forces sleeping in their own homes who have to be called up, clearly not active guards. I've proven myself quite inept so far so any help would be appreciated.

I understand there is going to be a HUGE difference depending on time period and the rank of the individual, also likely a big difference based on where they were, so if you can provide the who, where and when that would be appreciated. but really any information is welcome.
For starters, the same rank did not imply the same wealth or resources even within the same region and in the same time period. Two English Earls could have very different personal retinues.