Well, TO is more FFT with a lot of unnecessary grinding and about 1/10th of the gameplay variety. Like the vast majority of SRPGs, FFT's spiritual grandpappy offers little true combat variety between classes and limited customization. It took me years to beat the game on PS1; not because of difficulty, but because I made the fool decision to start that Hell Gate optional 100 floor dungeon and was too far in to turn back, yet too bored to play more than a few floors at a stretch before turning back to more engaging games. Like FFT.

The PSP port was an odd creature, fixing some flaws while creating others. To some extent it was a whole new game, with the addition of features like the battle rewind. Like the original, there is in to be had but it is still a much more vanilla experience than Ramza and the gang offer. The only things I liked over FFT was the option to make decisions that impact the story and thus have multiple endings, and the larger squad size allowing for some fun larger-scale battles (would have been neat if at certain times FFT had that, but not necessarily all game since it does make it a lot longer).