View Single Post

Thread: The Vanstermen IC

1. - Top - End - #339
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: The Vanstermen IC

"Aye, High Captain. I've been wanting to pass those mountains since I saw them. I just have a few things to take care of and I'll be ready to go within an hour," Geršr says.

During her hour, Geršr returns to her house. She's made it a home of sorts, comfortable enough in its sparseness. Her oar and red figurine from that first raid are displayed prominently, and she has a drawer in which she keeps the nicest coins she got out of that raid.

She picks up her armor, thinking about the training with High Captain Bloodmane. The leather feels thin, or perhaps her skin feels thicker. She seems to make a decision and sets in on her bed. After she pulls on her breeches and boots, she takes a length of cloth and begins to wrap herself with it, binding her breasts before pulling on a tight fitting shirt over her head. She smiles into the mirror, another trophy of the hunt, and feels tough, as she folds her wolfskin cloak up and puts it in her backpack.

Slinging her armor over her shoulder, she heads off with a pocket of gold (10 gp) to get herself a shield. High Captain Bloodmane taught her a lot about getting close in combat, and although Geršr kind of likes the idea, she's still much more comfortable with distance. Maybe the shield could help approximate that distance. With shield on hand, Geršr then goes to find her mother, letting her know that she'll be off exploring the island interior for a while but not to worry.

After her mother, Geršr looks for her sister, and hands off her armor as a gift. "Stay safe on the hunt, kid," she says before pulling Sóley in for a hug. She smiles warmly at the girl - no, she's a woman now - and goes to find Anbotha, the last person on her list.

She finds Anbotha at her house, and they have some strips of cured wolf meat and converse. "I want you to know that High Captain Bloodmane has asked me and a few others to explore the island interior. And that means you're in charge of the hunts."

She smiles at Anbotha, letting her have time to react.

"There's only two final things I'll ask as huntmaster before turning the job over. First, I ask that you keep up my duties of reporting to the High Captain. She's a good woman, and her insights are worthwhile. To be honest, I think she also appreciates the company." She grins at that.

"The other thing, is I don't know how long we'll be gone. And we don't know when Dorinsget might come back. I'd like you to have some stations in sight of the beach stocked with arrows and pitch. If any of the hunters see Dorinsget's ship, I want a runner sent to gather the others, flaming arrows put through his sails, and every last man on board dead before they can reach shore. Full force strikes, no holding back. [that is, anyone with Sharpshooter should always take the -5/+10 option]. I should have had him dead in the Hall. It's my fault he's out there, and I'm hoping this order can fix it.

Geršr gives a rueful smile to her friend and replacement, before standing to leave. She starts heading for the door, with Anbotha walking beside her. As Anbotha opens the door, Geršr isn't quite sure what comes over her, but she hugs the other woman, and motions for her to lean in. "Don't worry about me. I'll be back," she whispers, before kissing Anbotha on the cheek. Geršr turns and heads off to find Lim and Kįra before she can respond.

Spoiler: What I'm carrying, post-resupply:
    Show

Carrying Capacity 195 lbs

3 quivers with 60 arrows (6 lbs)
    My weapons (7 lbs)
    Shield (6 lbs)

Backpack (5 lbs)
    Blank book from Alynsget (5 lbs)
    Bedroll (7 lbs)
    50 feet rope (10 lbs)
    Cartographer's tools (6 lbs)
    Waterskin (5 lbs)
    Tinderbox (1 lb)
    Whetstone (1 lb)
    Direwolf pelt, for rainy days (10 lbs)
    3 oz of ink and a half dozen pens (negligible)

Total carried weight: 69 lbs
    Last edited by SaintRidley; 2017-01-29 at 04:39 AM.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.