Quote Originally Posted by TheNecrocomicon View Post
Count me as also thinking it would take longer for Bandana to wake up. She must have a decent CON score, or just rolled well on the save. And even better, now she can call Andi on the rampant BS, not that Andi gives a crap what anyone actually thinks.

On the other hand, being an engineer myself, I am getting a little fed up with the same-old "people in STEM fields make terrible leaders" plotline that's been beaten to a cliché long ago. I get it, Andi herself is an entitled jerkass whose wanton stupidity is likely to get the ship destroyed. I don't also have to get beat over the head (wrench, anvil or otherwise) with the fact that she's an engineer.

I know anti-intellectualism is all the rage these days (sometimes literally), but Andi could have been any crewmember on the ship -- gunner, lookout, quartermaster, pilot, medic, cook, deck-swabber, whatever -- and it would be totally incidental to the plot. The only key thing is that she's been a dedicated crew member on the ship for a long time. Making her specifically an engineer and then grinding that fact in strip after strip just gives me a mean-spirited impression from the author and, against my best intentions, is actually building sympathy for Andi that I should not rationally have.
I agree. Frankly, it would have been far better if Andi HADNT been head engineer, because she has failed quite a few of the job requirements for that, so it begs the question of what, exactly, she was getting paid to do on the ship? Because it cant have been engineering.