Patreon

You wrote that he decided against it, and I wondered why (if it's true)?

I wish to voice my opinion that it would be my preferred way of payment.
I just don't care for anything besides the main comic and the bonus stories. I don't need figures, calendars, stickers, games, etc. etc. etc.

When the kickstarter was going, i bought some package that included some stuff, just so because (i tried to get the package that included mostly books, so I got most of what I wanted).

But I generally bought it because I hoped it would help the Giant sustain his life and therefore be able to produce comics at a quicker rate as a result.
Ok, so that didn't happen because things calculated themselves differently afterwards, ok. No problem. That's the way life goes, and I can surely say happened to me as well.

Still I would highly recommend Patreon. Set up the way that money flows everytime a new comics is posted, would be the fairest thing to all people who wish to support the comic, and don't care about the rest.
Give Patreon people the comic 1 day earlier or something as "gift", and that's it. No obligations.

Alternatively, I don't think a prescription model is as bad as it seems, old fashioned it may be. Yeah, 4% and all that, but I bet everyone on this forum wants to know how the story ends. We have over 1000 pages of free sample to decide whether we want to buy the rest of the story.