Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
As rare as indicated, and giving them the sort of edge in power over anything that might challenge their rampage? Yes, it is broken.
I'd personally say it makes far more sense than the alternative, because the alternative is that the entire world is filled with people who can tank a charging rhino to the chest, outwrestle ogres and slay dragons, not to mention what it implies for the amount of conflict going on to get that many high level people in the prime of their youth.

Honestly I'd have high levels be even rarer than the OP does, with 10+ being one in a million, so a country the size of medieval England would have about 3 people of that power, with things like dragons being similarly rare and relying on their sheer unquestionable power to dominate the land on the rare occasion they can be bothered to do so. Level 10+ is basically Beowulf or Merlin in power level as far as folkloric traditions go, and unless you're going for a Greek style 'the gods have sired 50 heroes in the last month while disguised as a breakfast muffin' type scenario such individuals should be so rare that most people believe them to legend.

It also means that when the PCs decide to press into politics and beyond they aren't squabbling with other high level sellswords inexplicably working for a level 3 Count, but rather ancient beings of power and prophecy. I'd rather the players fight the realms equivalent of King Arthur or the Marble Emperor and their hosts of otherworldly warriors than fight contemporaries who are inexplicably equal to them in power despite dangers to the land being rare enough that humans can survive at all.