1. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Proper order to watch the Star Wars movies?

Production order. First the original trilogy, then the prequels. Or possibly first the original trilogy, prequels later (or never), and skip straight to TFA and Rogue One.

EDIT: And I was ninja'ed and in fact this was suggested already:

Some people will recommend the Machete Order (IV -> V -> II -> III -> VI, skip The Phantom Menace entirely). I advise against it, details in the spoiler.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The idea behind this order is to give the viewers information regarding Anakin's background and motivation after the big reveal of Empire Strikes Back. But it just doesn't work, the originals and prequels clash too much aesthetically and frankly, the prequels are just not good movies for the most part so forcing someone to sit on two of them before Return of the Jedi is borderline punishment. The fact the Machete Order cuts out Ep I (because it doesn't matter as far as Anakin's backstory is concerned), but makes you watch Attack of the Clones (which may matter but it's also a much, MUCH worse movie) shows that the author behind this idea is more interested in following some sort of artistic vision rather than making sure the viewer has a good time. And good time is why you watch movies to begin with!
    Last edited by tensai_oni; 2017-03-11 at 02:57 AM.