Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
The only wrong move is watching them in chronological order.

Hatred of the prequels is fairly magnified by the Internet echo chamber. They weren't great films, and they're fun to hate on, but to most random people they aren't the bleeding wound the Geek community treats them as. Honestly the Hobbit films are probably worse even by the niche standards of Geek IP prequels.
I never bothered to watch The Hobbit after the first one. It took the story in a weird direction (which I half approved of), but had mood-whiplash problems and false danger abounded. The giants were given about a sentence and a half in the book. In the movie, they were given 5 minutes of false danger. Then I heard about all sorts of other things that the movies did weird, and I just don't have the will to go see them.

Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
Metatextually Kylo was brilliant. He's the best riff on Darth Vader we've ever gotten, surpassing every disposable clone the EU gave us. The most critical flaw with The Force Awakens is structural, not character-centric. It's far too conservative, slavishly retreading the beats and setting of Episode IV.
I think my biggest problem with The Force Awakens is that it was made about 15 years too late. I agree that the setting and story are very close to Episode IV, but I don't think that that is always a bad thing. Words are failing me right now, or I would expound on that a bit.