Quote Originally Posted by eschmenk View Post
Fixed it for you. People won't see what you were trying to hide this way. (Yes, I know this didn't work, either.)
I've no idea what you are talking about...
No idea how that happened. Thanks.

Anyway, I'm glad you clarified that you are thinking what you are thinking because of reasons other than just because something that's both stupid and crazy made the claim. Generally, taking what a stupid and crazy person says too seriously is not a good thing to do. It worries me a little when it looks like people are doing that.
Eh, „it happened in another story” might not be the best reason for putting a theory together.
Or the only reason? I mean the only way to specul is to use stuff we know as the base.
Either way, I think it makes sense.

The problem there is that the available information seems to indicate that all those previous civilizations developed beyond a certain point, did something and got wiped out.
So you have the choice to either look into their stuff and find out what happened to potentially avoid/prepare for it- risking that the new knowledge pushes you beyond that point -or you stay away from it loose the chance to be prepared when you get to that level of development.

Considering the nature of most sophonts (cough especially humans cough) I think not poking ancient knowledge is the better course.

On the other hand the researchers looking at that knowledge and then deciding „Let's bury this and start to steer our development into a different direction” could be interesting.
On the gripping hand I doubt that will happen.
So I'm with Ennesby: Let's not poke that.