Quote Originally Posted by Spellbreaker26 View Post
I got to the end of the first game and I think the ending stuff got me really hyped up, and then.... not.

Spoiler: Ending Spoilers
Show
My character was a cleric of Berath, and I was getting pretty invested in the role, and I really enjoyed all the god quests (enjoyed them so much I made certain to do them all) and then the revelation at the end... what? It just really threw me off. No special dialogue for clerics to say "I don't believe you!" Nope, your entire party just comes around to the idea that the gods are fake. Not even evil though. Why wasn't there an option for me to refute that stupid elf girl's points? All that development flushed down the drain. No option to say to her face "they may be created but they're gods to me". Why did I have the same options as any other character? And why when I confront Thaos, are my options in terms of dialogue limited to "you monster" when I could see his point of view?

I also really wished I could have broken that elf girl as well. She refused to come about in any sense, so I just left her there. Refused to answer any questions. Got a point of cruelty for that, my powers were weakened but so be it. I never beat the game, lost all my motivation.
Spoiler
Show
The Gods aren't "fake" though, they're real, their power is real, their outlooks and behaviours are broadly what people believe them to be.

The fact that they were made doesn't make them not real, and opens up some interesting paths for narrative because they otherwise fit the mould of fantasy/mock classical gods where their role in the pantheon defines their character to an obsessive degree.

Which is partly touched on with the endings to the White March and the disposition of Abydon.